While Signs of Suicide (SOS) videos, lesson plans, and screening tools are completely turnkey, the SOS team offers consultation and training options to ensure all schools feel supported. Contact us to plan for Signs of Suicide in your classrooms, discuss training options for faculty and staff, and strategize to engage parents in suicide prevention.
Signs of Suicide (SOS) Implementer Trainings
These half-day workshops prepare attendees to provide suicide prevention education and mental health screening for their students, while engaging faculty, staff, and parents in their efforts. Participants commonly include counselors, school psychologists, nurses, social workers, health teachers, and community mental health providers. These interactive trainings encourage participants to practice key competencies, discuss common barriers, and brainstorm strategies with team members. A thorough review of SOS program materials and planning processes ensures schools are ready to implement evidence-based suicide prevention with fidelity.
- Facilitating a classroom discussion about depression and suicide with 6th-12th graders
- Administering universal depression screening and following up with identified students
- Providing youth suicide prevention training for teachers and school staff
- Coordinating with school administration and community partners for support
- Reaching out to parents as partners in prevention
Signs of Suicide (SOS) Ambassador Training
Interested in creating a sustainable suicide prevention strategy for your schools and community? Become certified to provide SOS Implementer training in your community. Certified SOS trainers advocate for evidence-based youth suicide prevention and provide valuable local support to schools considering implementing SOS for the first time. We are looking for individuals and agency staff interested in adding SOS to their suicide prevention toolkit. Attend an SOS Ambassador Training to become a certified SOS trainer.
$950 per person includes 2-day training, materials for subsequent SOS Implementer trainings, and ongoing support for your community’s suicide prevention goals.
Signs of Suicide (SOS) On-Site Training
Signs of Suicide Training In Your Community
Are you planning a large-scale roll-out of SOS in your school district or community? Local SOS training may be the best option for your team. The SOS team provides on-site training to:
- Community mental health agencies and youth-serving organizations interested in training schools to deliver SOS and/or offering SOS directly to students through school partnerships
- State agencies charged with delivering suicide prevention training to school personnel
- School districts rolling out SOS system-wide
Contact the SOS team to determine the best training for your needs.
Signs of Suicide (SOS) Consultation
Contact the SOS team to discuss strategies for delivering Signs of Suicide in your school. Team members have partnered with schools around the country to adapt the SOS curriculum to meet school needs. Learn best practices and discuss your school’s needs with program experts. Common topics include:
- Incorporating SOS into comprehensive school suicide prevention plan
- Adapting program materials to meet the needs of student population
- Addressing parent concerns about suicide prevention
- Gathering limited mental health resources to meet student needs
- Best practices in suicide prevention for students, school personnel, and parents
Are you implementing the Signs of Suicide (SOS) program in your classroom, school, or district for the first time?
You may be interested in our SOS Implementer training, which is designed to give an overview of all program materials and the opportunity to practice key competencies, discuss common barriers, and brainstorm strategies. Participants commonly include counselors, school psychologists, nurses, social workers, health teachers, and community mental health providers.
Are you rolling out SOS on a large scale in your community or district?
The SOS On-Site Training may be right for you if you’re representing a community health organization, state agency, or school district, which is implementing the program on large scale.
Are you interested in going beyond the the Implementer Training to support suicide prevention efforts?
The SOS Ambassador Training is for individuals and agency staff interested in adding SOS to their suicide prevention toolkit. Certified SOS trainers can provide Implementer training in their own communities and valuable support to schools considering the program for the first time.
Are you looking for advice on best practices and implementation strategies?
Contact the SOS team to setup a Consultation on adapting the SOS curriculum to your school.