Top 5 Ways to Beat End of Year Stress
- Breathe deeply: The following deep breathing exercise can help to lower stress hormones, lower your heart rate, and bring down your blood pressure. Here’s what you need to do:
- Sit quietly with one hand on your stomach, the other on your chest.
- Breathe in slowly and deeply through your nose, filling your lungs.
- Hold your breath for a few seconds.
- Breathe out slowly through your mouth until all the air is out of your lungs.
- Repeat four more times.
- Disconnect from technology: Setting boundaries between personal time and work time allows you to refocus and recharge, without interruption.
- Take a Walk: This can not only provide a change in scenery, but an actual change in your body chemistry which can drastically reduce your stress levels.
- Have Self-Compassion: Being hard on yourself doesn’t actually help you to perform at your best. Studies have shown that people who are self-compassionate are happier, more optimistic, less anxious and depressed, AND more successful, too.
- Hug someone you love: Studies have shown that social support is an effective stress management technique and frequent hugs from a partner can lower our blood pressure.
Make sure to keep these tips in mind throughout the next year. Stress can sneak up on you pretty quickly, and having some go-to coping mechanisms can help you to push through it.