It appears that you might be using an outdated browser. Some features of our site may not work.
For an optimal browsing experience, we recommend installing Google Chrome or Firefox.

  • Case Study: CHADS (Communities Healing Adolescent Depression and Suicide)

    How CHADS Coalition used SOS Signs of Suicide to help decrease youth suicide attempts by 21.4% across the St. Louis Metro area.

Overview

CHADS Coalition is a St. Louis-based organization with a mission to save young lives by advancing the awareness and prevention of depression and suicide.

The organization was founded by Marian and Larry McCord after losing their 18-year-old son, Chad, to suicide. Chad McCord was a high-school senior with a bright future, who also battled depression and died by suicide in 2004.

CHADS Logo

Results

21.4%

decrease in self-reported suicide attempts in students.

265,000

students in 183 schools received SOS through CHADS.

85%

reported an increase in knowledge of how to seek help.

15%

asked for help for themselves or a friend after SOS.

Challenge

Before Chad’s death, he battled the stigma that so often prevents youth from reaching out to a trusted adult for help when needed. Chad vowed that when he got better he would make a difference in people’s lives by bringing mental illness out of the closet.

Like so many other parents, Marian and Larry sought treatment for Chad and fought alongside him, but felt alone in their struggle as youth depression and suicide were not well understood in the community – or even in the healthcare system.

Solution

When they discovered MindWise’s SOS Signs of Suicide in 2007, CHADS initiated a partnership. The decision was reinforced by Missouri’s Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, who further endorsed SOS as a strong, evidence-based program to bring into Missouri schools.

Over the years, CHADS has become a significant believer in SOS for its ability to reduce stigma and encourage students to seek treatment.

SOS Signs of Suicide

Colleen Pace, CHADS Program Director, states, “I love that SOS fits into one classroom period. Something that’s so impactful and empowering in such a short time is really hard to find.”

She adds how valuable it is to be able to tell schools “this is a program we know works, a program that’s going to educate your students… we’re talking to 100% of kids knowing that 80% are never going to have a mental health issue, but that those 80% can help the other 20%.”

“I love that SOS fits into one classroom period. Something that’s so impactful and empowering in such a short time is really hard to find.”

Colleen Pace, CHADS Program Director

How they Expanded the Reach of SOS

In 2010, CHADS secured funding from the St. Louis County Children’s Service Fund, a local tax-based initiative, which allowed them to continue increasing their reach. With schools referring to other schools, their growth continued at a steady pace. “As a mother who lost a child to suicide, I am so proud to be able to offer SOS to St. Louis schools” said CHADS Co-Founder, Marian McCord. “I believe in the program so much.”

Overall, CHADS use of SOS has resulted in the following outcomes:

  • 21.4%
    decrease in self-reported suicide attempts in students across St. Louis.
  • 85%
    reported an increase in knowledge of how to seek help.
  • 15%
    asked for help for themselves or a friend after SOS.
  • 265k
    students have received SOS through CHADS
  • 183
    schools have delivered SOS with CHADS
  • 10
    years of SOS delivery from CHADS

Want to learn more about SOS Signs of Suicide?

Loading cart ...