The Trauma-Informed Academy
MindWise’s Digital Trauma-Informed Academy is designed to help school staff understand the impact and prevalence of trauma.
Why is it so important to address trauma in schools? Because students with multiple Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) are:
- 2x more likely to be disengaged in school
- 3x more likely to repeat a grade
- 7x more likely to suffer from alcoholism as an adult
- 12x more likely to attempt suicide
What Your School Staff Will Learn
The MindWise Trauma-Informed Academy provides real-world guidance on how staff and faculty can improve programs, policies, and communication to ensure safe schools and environments for everyone.
The course is delivered through a blend of online, asynchronous learning modules, live group discussions, and downloadable class materials – where attendees will learn how to:
- Promote feelings of physical, social, and emotional safety for students and staff
- Endow positive and culturally responsive discipline policies and practices
- Provide access to comprehensive school mental and behavioral health services
- Promote effective community collaboration to ensure safe schools and safe environments
- Communicate and support a shared understanding among staff and faculty about the impact of trauma and adversity on students
- Learn PACE Pause, Acknowledge, Connect, and Engage ℠
"I absolutely LOVED this course.
It gave names and clear directions to things we do naturally when we know a student has suffered trauma, but helped take it a step further."Course Participant
Benefits of a Trauma-Informed School
The impact of trauma doesn’t disappear once a student enters a classroom. Traumatic experiences can hinder the ability to process information effectively, develop age-appropriate social skills, and express strong feelings in a suitable manner.
Schools are an ideal setting for identifying and supporting youth trauma. When schools are trauma-informed, there is often a significant improvement in student behavior, growth in academic achievement, a reduction in suspensions and expulsions, an improved sense of teacher satisfaction and safety, and more.
What's Included in the Academy
- $400 per person for 2-month course
- 6 self-guided learning modules (average 20 minutes each)
- 5 bi-weekly virtual discussions to reinforce and practice content learned
- Downloadable coursebook with additional practice activities
- Ongoing course support, such as a virtual kick-off call, bi-weekly reminders, and invites for virtual discussions
- Certificate of Completion upon successful conclusion of the course